Saturday, June 25, 2016

A bucket list item

I’ve taken photos of picturesque old mills in many areas of the country but there is one here in Colorado that, while I’ve seen photos of it, I’ve never actually captured one of my own. This trip I was determined to remedy that so today…. but I’m ahead of myself. Yesterday afternoon we noticed a tram leading up a mountain overlooking Glenwood Springs. When we investigated we discovered that it goes to an amusement park on top of that mountain.

We asked at the information center if it was possible to ride the tram without purchasing amusement park passes and she assured us that it was not only possible but Friday afternoons after 4:00 it is free for the holders of a particular coupon and she had the magic coupons so we got to ride the tram for free.

View from top of tram – I-70 and Colorado River

Set-3b-56W

I had intended to post this last evening but we had a local power failure and we were dark from 7:45 to !!:10.

So back to today. The mill in question is Crystal Mill which is accessible only over really rough and narrow jeep roads. We opted book a tour from a commercial Jeep tour operator. As it happened the other party who had booked this tour changed their plans so we got a private tour.

This is our driver Tim and Big Red.

Set-4-160W

We opted for a longer loop trip than the simple in to Crystal and back out again. This took us through some spectacular Colorado high country.

Set-4-134W

Set-4-210W

Finally we arrived at Crystal and were rewarded with the opportunity to photograph Crystal Mill. I’m sure that you have seen multiple photographs of Crystal Mill. This is said to be one of the most photographed scenes in Colorado.

Set-4-181W

It was a marvelous day!

Tom & Carol

2 comments:

Ludwig said...

Bravo! Bravo!

Unknown said...

I love this old mill! I can only imagine what it took to build it in the first place. Amazing that it is still standing.