Sunday, July 8, 2012

Touring Edinburgh

There are multiple hop on hop off tours of Edinburgh and they all start and stop at the same location making it easy to go on several of them. We purchased a two day pass and went on three different ones today. When we travel between cities as we did yesterday I take my camera apart so that it fits in my carry on bag. When I assembled it this morning I neglected to attach my GPS tool. This is the only day this trip that I’ve not been able to locate the photos. Ah well, I will have it tomorrow…

All over the British Isles I’ve noticed the difference between the old towns here in England and the old towns we have on the West coast of the US. Old town Sacramento incorporates something like 12 city blocks and dates from the 1800s. Here is one street of many in one of Edinburgh’s “New towns” It dates from the 1700s.

Day-00-096W

In London, most of the statues honor kings or military figures. The largest, most impressive work of public art here in Edinburgh is the memorial to an author, Sir Walter Scott. Here is the statue in that memorial

Day-00-158W

The pinnacles of Victorian age engineering were the Eifel Tower in Paris and the railroad bridge across the Firth of Forth outside of Edinburgh. One of the tours we took today included a boat trip on the Firth of Forth where we got to see that fabled bridge. The main portion of the bridge is three cantilevered sections, This is the middle one. Although trains today are far larger and heavier than in Victorian times this bridge is still in hourly use.

Day-00-245W

Tom

No comments: